St William of York Catholic Primary understands and values the importance of physical activity and sport. The children are encouraged to undertake a range of sports and activities both within the Physical Education (PE) curriculum, at playtimes and also in extracurricular activities. The Departments for Education, Health and Culture and Media and Sport have allocated ring-fenced funding to support the provision of PE and sport in schools.
St William of York was allocated £9000 in the year 2016-2017, to support and promote PE in school.
The funding has been used to:
- provide training for teachers and teaching assistants to promote physical activity
- playground activities
- additional staff at lunchtime to organise games and actvities
- improve the playground environment
- purchase PE equipment and resources
- release teachers and teaching assistants so that teachers can take part in sports competions
- allow pupils to take part in the Lewisham Schools' Football League on a Saturday morning
- staffing to supervise Saturday football.
Sport has always had a high profile within our school, however, the funding has helped us to encourage the children to participate in active games with greater skill and accuracy. The equipment has helped the introduction of a range of different disciplines allowing all children to have the opportunity to explore new challenges. Children taking part in organised activities are less likely to be involved in negative behaviour. Team games have encouraged a positive spirit amongst the different age groups.
The school actively promotes the link between positive physical activity and positive mental well-being. this in turn has apositive impact on the children's self esteem, self belief and success in learning. The stimulating playground activities have helped to further improve children’s concentrating and learning in the classroom. Children use their understanding of team work and good sportsmanship across the curriculum. These are skills which will benefit the children throughout their lives.
PE Funding 2018 - 2019
Funding for 2018-2019 has to been increased to £17,980,000, which has allowed us to extend provision (see PE Premium Report below).